Wednesday, May 13, 2009

100 Movies

Many of you know my love affair with the library. Not that I actually read that many library books. I use it more as my own personal, free Netflix. The sheer size of their collection is pretty amazing and if you haven't checked out your local library I really urge you to do so. I think the most fun I have is putting movies on hold and then waiting to see which gems await me on my weekly trek up the hill. Waiting 3 months for the new Batman movie was little trouble considering the countless movies I was able to watch in between.

As a result of this expanded horizon of unlimited movie watching, I have been searching through all sorts lists for what I need to see. I've been through the IMDB lists and the AFI lists, but as these are mainly American films, I am going with the 100 Movies to See Before You Die from Yahoo Movies. I know, not a very elite reporting agency but it seems like a good place to get my feet wet. Here's the link if you're interested http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/100-movies-to-see-before-you-die.html

Here are some short reviews from the films I've already seen on the list...
12 Angry Men- Watched it in high school, should probably revisit it
The African Queen- The movie that made me love Humphrey Bogart
Apocalypse Now- Martin Sheen has a heart attack while filming, Marlon Brando's an ass, and Lawrence Fishbourne as Larry Fishbourne lies about his age in order to play his role...in the end it doesn't really seem worth it.
Bringing Up Baby-Katherine the Great
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid-Do you really need to be told by a list to watch a movie with both Robert Redford and Paul Newman?
Casablanca- The movie that did not make me love Humphrey Bogart
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon- Kinda surprised this one is on the list
Die Hard- AWESOME!
Double Indemnity-Love Barbara Stanwyck...film noir, not so much
Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb- Just saw this one and it's outstanding, hilarious. Peter Sellers is a genius.
E.T. the Extraterrestriall- Believe it or not, I have never seen this movie whole, in one sitting. I'm sure by now that I have managed to get the gist of it, but will be viewing it again anyways
The Exorcist- I have nothing to say for this one, all I really remember are the outside stairs
The French Connection- Gene Hackman, Gene Hackman, Gene Hackman...is awesome!
It Happened One Night- Great movie, Clark Gable is stunning. I never understood why he was so adored until this, but then again, I always hated Rhett Butler
It's a Wonderful Life- I once vowed to never see this movie. I'm not sure why, I guess that was the extent of my younger rebellious phase...I adore this movie
The Lady Eve- Watched during my recent Barbara Stanwyck phase, she's amazing, but I will never understand why they would cast her beside such a dull-witted version of Henry Fonda and expect us to believe that she could love him
The Lord of the Rings- "Are you frightened?" "Yes." "Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you" ooooooh! I wish Viggo was hunting me!
M*A*S*H- One of my favorites.
The Matrix- Another that I'm surprised it's on the list, though I s'pose it did revolutionize movies if only having produced countless imitators.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- Not a big Jack Nicholson fan
Pulp Fiction- Thank God I've already seen this and won't be forced to watch it again...ug!
Raiders of the Lost Ark- The best Indiana Jones, hands down.
Rear Window- The scariest scene in film history...Jimmy Stewart watching a darkened window and suddenly he sees the glowing end of a cigarette, the only evidence that he is being watched back. Fabulous.
Rebel Without a Cause- I think I will never understand my James Dean love when I was younger. Who was I even?
Roman Holiday- Lovely
Saving Private Ryan- Before Tom Sizemore went totally nutso, and a young Vin Diesel. Weird.
Schindler's List- I regret leaving the theater half way through this movie. But eventually watched it in full
The Shawshank Redemption- Lovely
Silence of the Lambs- Creepy
Sigin' in the Rain- Love Debbie Reynolds. Gene Kelley not so much
Some like it Hot- eh
Star Wars- Empire is better
Titanic- really?
To Kill a Mockingbird- Fabulous, and still not as good as the book
Toy Story- I had a little crush on Buzz Lightyear
When Harry Met Sally- Does anyone else find Billy Crystal as annoying as I do?
Wings of Desire- Weird and over my head, but still pretty awesome
Wizard of OZ- You know this one

So that's 38 of 100. I'll keep you posted on my progress. I'll tell you right now, I'm not that excited for Chinatown or Jaws but I must complete the list.