Sunday, August 23, 2009

Breaking news from the Midwest...

Emergency cactus spine removal.

We were sitting outside enjoying the Nebraska, August evening when a fat, little toad hopped into our party. Being the city girl I am, I jumped up to take a picture, frightening the toad, who then jumped into the nearest cactus to hide. And there he sat, with spines in his mouth, flailing about and injuring himself further. Until my stepsister, Daniela flew in to the rescue, snatching the toad from the evil clutches of said cactus. I ran in the house, grabbed my tweezers, and we had ourselves a makeshift vet clinic, operating room. Poor little guy had spines stuck in his face, feet, belly and even his eyes. But when all was said and done, he hopped off into the sunset, not too much the worse for wear.