Wednesday, November 11, 2009

This Morning on the Bus

I was riding to work this morning, feeling so very happy about having caught my bus, and the warm coffee in my mug and the Killers music blaring in my headphones, that it took me a minute to realize that the clicking noise behind me was the tell-tale sound of someone clipping their nails. On the bus. Clipping their nails on the bus! I have to admit, that this is not the first time I have seen this. Since when did it become acceptable to clip one's nails in public? Would it be okay to clip your nails in your friend's car? Um, I'm gonna go with no. So why is it okay to do it on the bus? The funny thing is, that when I got up to move because I couldn't get the image of fingernails flying into my hair, I saw that it was a woman cutting her nails, and she had a mask on. One of those masks people wear to protect themselves from swine flue. There's something wrong with that picture. She's afraid of other people's germs, but not aware that her airborne fingernail bits might be equally disturbing to her fellow bus riders. Well played, lady, well played.