Saturday, September 11, 2010

Getting Schooled

I'm still not adjusted, but I will venture to say that I am adjusting.  Of my five classes, I have two favorites, one that baffles my mind, and two that I find aggravating... though I'm on the lookout for improvement.  But even the trying classes feel like a blessing.  At least I have emotions about them, whereas the first week, it was all I could do to bring the right books to class, let alone form any sort of corresponding opinion.

I'm surprised to find myself enjoying Torts and Civil Procedure.  The subject matter in itself is engaging but it's also the professors who make it so interesting.  I'll even go so far as to say, my Civil Procedure Professor makes due process seem pretty damn sexy.  Who could have imagined I would get so wrapped up in the ideas of proper notice and equal representation.  Each day in these classes leads me to believe I made the right choice.  Every time I sit down to study their giant books, I find myself giddy at the concepts I am able to tug out of the endless paragraphs, and how easily I am  comprehending them.

But if Tuesdays and Thursdays in Torts and Civ. Pro. (that's cool law school talk) are my haven, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are a barren wasteland.  A wasteland filled with mind-boggling Contracts theories and vocabulary; a Professor/Overlord demanding I sign up for a twitter account; and 50 minutes trapped in a class where it turns out, I don't know anything about writing...at least not the kind of writing they want me to know about.  It's quite the set down.  But as I said before, at least I am functioning enough in these classes to realize I loathe them.  Strange to take comfort in that.