Sunday, May 2, 2010

An Albatross Around One's Neck

While commencing The Great Purge of 2010, I stumbled upon a blurb in an old Mother Jones magazine about photographer Chris Jordan, and his study of albatross chicks on Midway Atoll. Maybe it's because I have a strange urge to see an albatross in real life, or maybe it has to do with the Great Purge of 2010 and the unavoidable feelings of waste and guilt, but these photographs had me near tears. Taking a tour around his website is admittedly, depressing and gruesome, but I think it's terribly important stuff. You can argue all you like about the scientific veracity of Global Warming and climate change, but does it seem right to wreak this kind of damage if we don't have to? Anyways, these are just thoughts, not condemnations, but I think the age of me buying anything with a plastic, screw-top lid is over. Incidentally, the secondary definition of albatross in my copy of Webster's reads as follows...
2. a seemingly inescapable moral or emotional burden, as of guilt or responsibility. Often in the phrase an albatross around one's neck.