Thursday, June 4, 2009

Credit Where Credit is Due

One of the things that makes me crazy about the book industry is the marketing of an author's name as opposed to their actual book.
Case in point...Stephen King. Can you even tell what the title of the book is? What if I wanted to read The Stand, I wouldn't be able to pick it out from all the other Stephen King titles. Not to mention the fact that I feel like the authors are shouting their names at me.

The latest convert to this self-aggrandizing. ego-maniacal BS is none other than chick-lit, mega-author Jodi Picoult. That's right, the "author" of such classics as My Sister's Keeper, and 19 Minutes would rather you buy books based on her name, not the actual content of her novels. Are you surprised? I know I am.

What brings this to my attention is the latest release from the Wonder Woman comic series, written by, you guessed it, Jodi Picoult. I will set aside the commentary that not just anyone who can string a coherent sentence together can write a comic. And I will postpone my judgment as to whether a "best selling" "novelist" can understand the complexities of timing and pacing necessary to write a successful graphic novel. I guess my real issue is, how many of you readers out there know who Wonder Woman is? And how many know Ms. Picoult?... Than why the hell is Jodi Picoult's name so god-damned big?!?!
On a side note, as I haven't read this particular graphic novel, I'm curious as to whether Wonder Woman faces some kind of drama concerning a suicide pact between two teenage lovers gone horribly wrong, or the realization that the man she loves, a commercial airline pilot who's plane crashes into the Atlantic, actually has a whole other family in Britian... oh wait, that was Anita Shreve. My apologies.